ucap #120 "650 Airplanes"

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
PilotBillFromTexas

ucap #120 "650 Airplanes"

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:05 pm

The podcast disclaimers have been absolutely brilliant!

champguy

Re: ucap #120 "650 Airplanes"

Postby champguy » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:52 pm

The comments about different planes requiring different skills sure rang true. My Champ is safe, docile, and easy to fly, But jump in from a "Land-O-Matic" spam can and something is likely to get bent. I did a BFR in a C-172 a few years back and it drove solid and true, much like my F-250. Great truck by the way.
What really drives me nuts is the guys in the more complex planes still punching numbers into some gadget on climb-out, not even looking out the window. They seem to think hi-tech makes them safer. Talk to me when their planes reach sixty, still unbent.

Great to hear the positve report by Dan about Sebring. When more of those planes start reaching the used market, a lot more people are going to find they can afford to fly.

Dave, sorry to hear about winter hanging on. Our dafodills are now up five inches. Last week flew with friends down the coast to the grass strip at Lakeside for burgers. Warm and dry, it was a great day to be in the air. Hang in there.
Attachments
0207091551.jpg
0207091551.jpg (76.83 KiB) Viewed 3417 times
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

mdpilots

Postby mdpilots » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:32 am

Here's the smallest, and "trickiest" plane I've ever flown. Mostly due to the landing characteristics. No rudder pedals. For that reason and more, this plane was tons of fun. And, it's the only plane in which I've done an "emergency" landing. But that's a long story.

Adam

Copy of P6240026.jpg
Copy of P6240026.jpg (53.68 KiB) Viewed 3408 times

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:35 am

You guys are both living the life.

I've taken a few mental health vacation days off work next week and plan on cuttin' me a slice o' that GA pie myself.

Laminar

Postby Laminar » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:34 pm

I had a great day, thanks to Jack's recommendations. I got out early, landed at the Alton Bay Ice Airport, flew on to Sanford, Maine for the ski fly-in, and met some really terrific folks at the FBO. I'm beginning to understand why Jack is so enthusiastic about the LSA school at Sanford. They are really committed to bringing people into GA via the LSA route, and the Gobosh seems to be a great trainer. I will be back, and I recommend Southern Maine Aviation to anyone who is within range of Sanford.

The only downside of the day was that I didn't cross paths with Jack, who I'm beginning to suspect, is a fictional character in the Virtual Hangar.

-Rick

Scofreyjet

Postby Scofreyjet » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:30 pm

Rick - Wow, that sounds like a fabulous day!

And, as far as Jack goes:
Laminar wrote:The only downside of the day was that I didn't cross paths with Jack, who I'm beginning to suspect, is a fictional character in the Virtual Hangar.

I wondered about him myself, but since I actually did meet him the other day, he is real.

Now DAVE on the other hand... ;)
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

hmltnrgr1

Postby hmltnrgr1 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:53 pm

OMG!!!!!

Man o' man, am I ever in love with an airplane...that Lighting is frikkin' GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:12 pm

The podcast disclaimers have been absolutely brilliant!

I couldn't agree more.

As for champguy's pic of the Skyhawk next to the Champ, that's a thoroughly appealing pair of planes. I'd take them in a heartbeat.

-- Jack

Cherokee_955

Postby Cherokee_955 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:43 pm

It's not fair to make me nearly have an accident in my car!

Dave Higdon - you about made me drive off the road. Your shout out to the Stick & Rudder Flying Club made my day! THANK YOU!

The club won the 2009 Illinois Aviation Hall of Fame "Spirit of Flight" award - and I had no idea anyone knew, outside the club.

I had 'one of them days' at work today, and driving home was catching up on the podcast and then came the shout out. Dave, you have no idea how much that made me smile!

Thanks so much!!

Robbie Culver
Waukegan IL
N55955
"Everything Happens for a Reason"

Return to “Episodes”