4B8 needs our help

Mail and other feedback from listeners.
ebrendan

4B8 needs our help

Postby ebrendan » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:16 pm

Jack,
There is some action needed to help save a New England airport. Robertson Field, 4B8 Connecticut's oldest operating airport is being threatened by development. I received the following email.....

Another airport in Connecticut has come to a critical crossroads in its existence this month and YOU may be able to help.

Robertson Field airport or 4B8 is Connecticut's oldest operating airport and this month faces CLOSURE. Town residence from Plainville Connecticut will be heading to the polls to vote if they should keep their airport open or reclaim the land for that dirty 11 letter word we hate to hear: "DEVELOPMENT".

On Tuesday March 31 the town will vote if they should buy Robertson Field, 4B8 or sell it to developers. Voting will take place 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. at the firehouse on West Main Street.

I urge you all ( there are 450+ of you ) if you know anyone who lives in Plainville Connecticut, it could be relatives, friends, business associates or anyone else you think CAN vote on this issue, please call them NOW and tell them to vote YES to keep the airport open on the Tuesday March 31 ballot. Our group
is made up of hard working individuals, so lets help those hard working airport employees keep working.

The airport is having an open house in about two weeks so town residence can see what they would be buying if they vote yes on March 31.
We are NOT looking for a fly-in as this would be ADVERSE to the airport's cause. The open house will have many town residence walking around the airport and a large fly-in is NOT what the airport management is looking for. Re-read this paragraph if you are having different ideas.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Robertson Field, it is located near Hartford Connecticut. The FBO on the field is Interstate Aviation and they are a Cessna Pilot center for flight training, do Jet Chartering, fueling and full aircraft maintenance. The FBO has been run by the O'Leary family for a very long time and they are a great family to do business with and I hope they will be at 4B8 for a long time to come. There are 110 aircraft based on the field.

The next town over from Plainville is Burlington Connecticut, the old home of Mountain Meadow airport or also known as Johnnycake Airport (22B). Although this airport has been closed for years, this town recently voted to keep it closed FOREVER!!

Here is a link to the newspaper article for ROBERTSON FIELD AIRPORT with additional information
http://www.bristolpress.com/articles/20 ... 659390.txt

http://blogs.courant.com/itowns_nb/2009 ... rtson.html

If you do know someone, let me know too, as I would like to think - We WILL make a difference.

Thank you for your time.

Kevin Bayusik
Assistant Organizer Northeast Pilots Groups (NEPG)

--
This message was sent by Kevin Bayusik (kbayusik@aol.com) from Northeast Pilots Group <http://www.meetup.com/NEPilotsGroup/> .
To learn more about Kevin Bayusik, visit his/her member profile <http://www.meetup.com/NEPilotsGroup/members/3728309/>
To unsubscribe or to update your mailing list settings, click here <http://www.meetup.com/account/comm/>

Meetup Support: support@meetup.com
632 Broadway, New York, NY 10012 USA
Brendan Reynolds
Pilot, KFRG Farmingdale NY

PilotBillFromTexas

Re: 4B8 needs our help

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:59 pm

I've been to Plainville before several years ago. It's a very nice small airport.

With all of the billions of "stimulus" money being spent, surely the FAA could come up with the last $100k so that the Town could take over the airport. I wish that I knew someone that lives there.

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:04 pm

I've put this on the list. We'll probably talk about it in #125.

-- Jack

ebrendan

Postby ebrendan » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:30 pm

Thanks Jack.
Appreciated.
Brendan Reynolds
Pilot, KFRG Farmingdale NY

JamieCT

Postby JamieCT » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:41 pm

Just found out that the referendum passed, and the voters decided to have the city purchase the airport and continue its operation. There should be a big collective sigh of relief in the aviation community across the Northeast, as this was a serious serious threat. I love this airport and have gone there often to pick up friends and attend safety seminars. Kudos to AOPA and the locals who organized in defense of the field. There was some very vocal opposition being rallied, about how this was catering to the elite wealthy plane owners blah blah blah. Hopefully, in the end there was some good education about the quality of jobs and services that a small community airport like Robertson provides, along with the prevention of large "X"s being painted on a beautiful runway.

Way to go!!!!

Jamie Gamble

ebrendan

Postby ebrendan » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:44 am

Indeed, intelligence has been discovered in Connecticut. I just received the following email:

BIG win for GA, Robertson Airport (4B8) has been saved!!

The city of Plainville Connecticut has voted almost 2 to1 in favor of keeping Robertson airport (4B8) OPEN as an airport. The unofficial vote count was 1432 in favor 791 in opposition. A BIG thanks goes out to Neal Witkin the AOPA airport support volunteer who was instrumental in the drive to keep the airport open. Neal worked relentlessly for months organizing and organizing some more. When I spoke to Neal election night, he was still outside the voting polls with his sign saying vote “YES” for the airport. The open house at 4B8 attracted 2,000 attendees and the NEPG group had about a dozen members appear at the event. There are a few pictures posted on the NEPG website for the open house. Again, thanks to the efforts of many, a GA airport was saved from development.

rcigliano

Postby rcigliano » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:00 pm

This is great news!! May be the UCAP listeners from the area can have a fly in there to celebrate.
Rob
Private Pilot SEL
FRG
Tecnam Eaglet

@RobertCigliano on Twitter
The New Pilot PodBlog Podcast
@NewPilotPodBlog on Twitter
http://thenewpilotpodblog.com

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:37 pm

Awesome!!! :lol: :D :P

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:48 am

That's great news.

Return to “Listener Mail”