UCAP meetup at Avalon 2009 (Australia)

Postings about organizing, and reporting on, informal gatherings of UCAP listeners.
StevenPam

UCAP meetup at Avalon 2009 (Australia)

Postby StevenPam » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:06 am

Hi fellow UCAPpers,

I was just chatting with fellow Aussie UCAPper Falcon124 about meeting up at the Avalon Airshow next week and it occurred to me that there are likely to be other UCAP listeners in our neck of the woods! Please let us know if you're interested in hooking up for a quick hello and maybe a photo to post here. If anyone has a UCAP T-shirt, that would be even better :-)

Cheers,
Steven
** I like aeroplanes **

falcon124

Re: UCAP meetup at Avalon 2009 (Australia)

Postby falcon124 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:49 am

Usually I can be found working on the tarmac at Avalon directing aircraft but this year, I'm not going to be able to :( (http://blog.flymefriendly.com/2009/03/wont-be-working-at-avalon-this-time/) Bummer...

Oh well, at least I'll be going down for one of the trade days. I'm currently figuring Wednesday so Steven & I will be catching up while we're both there.

Would be great to catch any other UCAPpers Down Under if you're going to be out there :)

Cheers,

Grant

StevenPam

Postby StevenPam » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:37 am

Well, we did it... the official "UCAP downunder" meetup:

Yeah, a bit pathetic, huh. Maybe we can do better tomorrow ?
** I like aeroplanes **

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:41 am

Who is who in this pic, so we can embarrass you during the next ep?

And I'm still working out how I feel about the fact that, to a "UCAP meetup" one of you is wearing an "Airspeed" shirt. :-)

Thanks.

-- Jack

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:47 am

Matthew 18:20 (King James Version)

"For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them."

If the good lord was satisfied with small meetups, so are we.

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:22 am

Score: Aussies 1 : Yanks 0 !

It's also summer there to add insult to injury.

StevenPam

Postby StevenPam » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:48 pm

jackhodgson wrote:Who is who in this pic, so we can embarrass you during the next ep?

Oops, yes, sorry about that. That's Falcon124 on the left, with the hat on; and me on the right with the ridiculous grin.

And I'm still working out how I feel about the fact that, to a "UCAP meetup" one of you is wearing an "Airspeed" shirt. :-)

Errm... yeah. That is a bit strange, isn't it. I would have worn my "Pilot's Flight Podlog" T-shirt but Will doesn't have any either!

But serioulsy, I guess that since between us we listen to Pilotcast, Airspeed, PFPL, Finer Points, etc... it was as much an "aviation podsphere" meetup as a UCAP meetup. You guys are just our favourite entertainers :-)
** I like aeroplanes **

falcon124

Postby falcon124 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:00 pm

Jack: I'm the one who wore the Airspeed shirt - I figured I had to bag the first official sighting down under - so while it may be contributing no end to the Force-Meister's ego to have his logo (and thus, his face) spreading around the world, at least it can be held slightly in check by the fact it was seen at a UCAP event :) :)

Bill: Not only summer, I got a nice tan on my arms despite the copious amounts of dust I wound up covered in (Avalon is notorious for being either 100% dust or 100% mud - sometimes both on the same day if the weather turns) :)

I might be able to make it back to Avalon on Friday, so if any UCAPers are there, let me know (@Falcon124 on Twitter).

champguy

Postby champguy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:00 pm

I sure am jealous of the summer weather about now. And the T-shirts even if they do have the wrong logo.
In the Aeronca world, we have two national associations, each with a hat. You have to carry two to be prepared for whoever you might meet at an Airshow. Hats are easy to change while t-shirts would present a problem while walking toward someone you have just spotted down the flightline.
But then there is the issue of flying in "uncontrolled airspace". Is this the sort of thing one wants to advertise too widely? I headed down to Roseberg yesterday. Beautiful CAVU since the evening before, full moon, the works. Half way there, 20 minutes out of town, I had to make a choice, go over and risk an IFR descent, or duck under into Class G "Uncontrolled Airspace". Lets just say that the roads through the Coast Range follow scenic if circuitous routes.
Anyway if we are going to advertise "Uncontrolled Airspace", rather than hats or shirts which are hard to dispose of quickly, we should go for little round stickers. Kind of like those smiley faces you see in certain circles. You just peel one off a pad and stick it on anywhere appropriate when you see friends, and then peel it back off and dispose of it discreetly when confronted by people who lack the broad outlook we value.
Cheers
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

falcon124

Postby falcon124 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:44 pm

champguy wrote:I sure am jealous of the summer weather about now

Don't be - it's raining and cold now - started on the Saturday of the airshow and hasn't quite finished yet :)

champguy wrote:we should go for little round stickers. Kind of like those smiley faces you see in certain circles. You just peel one off a pad and stick it on anywhere appropriate when you see friends, and then peel it back off and dispose of it discreetly when confronted by people who lack the broad outlook we value.

There's a company down here called Crumpler who have a neat logo that is turning up on stickers all over the place. They hand out the stickers every chance they get and you can find them on street signs, bars, vehicles (mine has about 3 now :) and many other funky places. Excellent viral marketing :)

Return to “Meetups”