Approach Plates on the iPad.... Anyone? Anyone?

Tell us about the things in your panels and flight bags.
mennis

Re: Approach Plates on the iPad.... Anyone? Anyone?

Postby mennis » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:02 am

I use Foreflight on the iPad extensively. I don't use it in the air but that's a matter of being relatively green and seeking a more traditional foundation in aviation.
The thing that irritates me the most is that I cannot print plates from it. I think this is not a Foreflight issue as much as an iOS issue. Foreflight can store plates, sectionals, enroute charts and airport data as well as brief and file a flight plan. It is easy to keep up to date since it indicates when products you have downloaded to the device are ready to be updated. This can be done over wifi. Some of the ways in which it instruments the data display is brilliant. I especially appreciate the [I|V|MV]FR overlays on the sectionals. Being both elegant and intuitive I've found it to be a great help in very quickly getting my bearings on the current environment during preflight.

LimaBravo

Re: Approach Plates on the iPad.... Anyone? Anyone?

Postby LimaBravo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:13 am

Addressing using approach plates on the iPad specifically:

1. ForeFlight - $75 / year. Best application for approach plates, ease of use, quick to find. I use the iPad as EFB (part 91 class 1 or 2 EFB) in hard IFR and foreflight is great for workload, easy to find plates, search, etc.... Easier than flipping through Jepp or NOAA plates the old way.

2. GoodReader - for the budget minded. Best $.99 (99cents!) you'll spend !! use GoodReader, then download your plates from pdfplates.com for free. Goodreader will let you manage the plates in flight, easy to find and turn to the proper page, great search that you can actually use while flying. Best pdf reader for use while flying. Make sure to flip pdfplates.com a little donation to keep it going!

~L

Return to “Flight Gear”