Remote ATC Tower

Mail and other feedback from listeners.
mbuto

Remote ATC Tower

Postby mbuto » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:31 pm

An interesting concept. Short version: Using high-res cameras to create a 360' view of the field so that a controller could be located somewhere else. The enhanced visuals look good, but not sure what happens when comms are lost. Could allow for 'towers' at more airfields.

Cheers,

Mike

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/design/2012/06/saab-reinvents-air-traffic-control-with-a-digital-panorama/

ATC_Ben

Re: Remote ATC Tower

Postby ATC_Ben » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:01 pm

This is something that the Australian ATC provider is researching for the more remote locations with tower service (or may need tower service in the future).

http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/pro ... echnology/
Caelus latus sursum

champguy

Postby champguy » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:38 am

While "Champguy" does not approve of anything "Hi-Tec" as progress, the enhanced vision capabilities of these setups may well prove themselves and quite possibly save money over the cost of maned towers in remote locations with little traffic.
If this becomes an excuse to extend tower service to more locations, however, I question whether the end result will be more savings or more trafic.
I just can't accept the idea that more control will lead to more people and planes in the air.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:54 am

I know that some insurance companies will not allow some jet operators to land at any airport without a control tower. This means that some communities that want to attract business and have an airport will try hard to get the FAA to put a tower in. This might be a good way to extend service to some sleepy airports cost effectively.

Return to “Listener Mail”