#331 A-I + #332

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
gmarshall

#331 A-I + #332

Postby gmarshall » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:36 pm

Thought I'd just wrap the whole Oshkosh series into one post.

I just wanted to say thanks guys for making Oshkosh seem special again this year, even for those of us unable to attend. Hearing you guys talk about it makes it a lot more real than seeing magazine articles a couple months later, or even following pictures online. A close second would be all the Youtube videos, I suppose.

This year's Airventure Airshow video du jour seems to be: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXMhwfw8HQo

Though I'm not fond of the overuse of the (IMO cheesy) tilt-shift filter he's put the first number of clips during the intro, the rest of the video (everything after 1:30) is solid.

Anyway, it's been a bit of a dry spell for me getting myself to Airventure (5 and 7 year old daughters, not quite ready for a week long trek) but I fully intend to get down there for a Tie Down Party one of these years. You guys have to promise to me to just keep up your end of the bargain and keep doing your good work!

gmarshall

Re: #331 A-I + #332

Postby gmarshall » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:44 pm

On another note: It's nice to hear that things are moving in a positive direction with the EAA.

I'm also glad to hear that there doesn't seem to be too much hand wringing about the military not being in as much attendance this year. Honestly, if I want to get a recruiting / funding pitch while watching another piece of metal do a high G turn, there's plenty of airshows around. The airshow at Airventure was always the place to see the most cutting edge experimentals, best collection of historical aircraft, and often a lineup chock-a-block full of world championship level aerobatic pilots.

Though I have to admit, I'll always remember the few times I saw an SR-71 demo....

I think the stories for me that might 'have some legs' are the alternative fueled GA airplanes. The consternation over the demise of 100LL is one thing, but over the next few decades, I can't imagine we'll still be sailing happily along in gas powered bliss. While the diesel (ok, compression-ignition) story isn't new this year, it continues to bubble up, what with the Redbird announcement. The natural gas Husky and the electric airplanes are also fascinating. I'd say it's only a matter of time before one or all of these technologies really starts to take root at smaller airports around the world.

nzslackie

Re: #331 A-I + #332

Postby nzslackie » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:54 pm

For me 2013 AirVenture will always be special... my first visit to the US and AirVenture... managed to spend the whole week from Monday to Sunday on the grounds... stayed with a couple of guys I met through the UCAP being Mike Smith and Jeff Ward (of show notes fame!). I had the priviledge of visiting the tower during my stay and also managed to meet Michael Goulian who offered me a VIP pass to his trailer on the flight line! I attended the UCAP trailer party and put many faces to names, and also made up a part of the peanut gallery at the live recording of the podcast on the announcers' deck on Sunday. In fact here's a video of James' song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUYupRhm6zk. Fun didn't stop when AirVenture ended as I rented a convertable in LA and over a period of 4 days managed to top off my "aviation cup" with visits to Chuck Hall's FBO at Ramona (crawling over through and around airworthy P51s, Harvards, Corsairs, and a TBM), Miramar Leathernecks' museum, San Diego Air & Space museum, USS Midway, March Reserve Air Base Museum, and of course the Yanks and Planes of Fame museums at Chino Airport.
Here's to long uplines!

Return to “Episodes”