Airventure Oshkosh Meetup

Postings about organizing, and reporting on, informal gatherings of UCAP listeners.
JHWellington

Re: Airventure Oshkosh Meetup

Postby JHWellington » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:58 pm

Everyone going to OSH from UCAP should join Twitter. It's a great way to stay connected to others that are their using cell phones.

I am jhwellington on Twitter. We can send messages using the #UCAP hashtag.

swamppilot

Postby swamppilot » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:45 pm

Hi all,

Last year was the first trip to Airventure for my son and I. We both had a great time. Our only disappointment was that we had to leave Thursday before Podapalooza. After all, it was listening to the great Airventure stories on UCAP that convinced us to make the trip. Once again we arrive on Saturday and depart Thursday at noon. So, for selfish reasons we are voting for at least one UCAP meetup anytime before Thursday.

If I can be of any assistance please let me know.

Looking forward to meeting the voices in my head,
Don

Navionpilot

Postby Navionpilot » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:01 pm

Ok, how about Saturday or Sunday before OSH in Camp Scholler? Around 7pm?

Jonathan
"Very hard and smooth surfaces, such as obtained by the use of concrete, are not popular with pilots.- Civil Airport Construction 1928- Fly Grass!!!!!!!!!

swamppilot

Postby swamppilot » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:00 pm

Saturday might cut it a little close for those just arriving but Sunday sounds great. It would also make sense in terms of planning another gathering for later in the week.

Damia

Postby Damia » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:42 pm

Two meetups. One early in Airventure, one later on.

Sunday evening July 26 at 6:00 pm. Location TBD.

Thursday early evening July 30 at 5:30 pm.
Possible location: Navionpilot's (Jonathan's) offer of EAA Chapter 974's mini-camp within Camp Sholler. Another
possibility is that we could crash into "Firebase Airspeed" in Camp Sholler (we could, of course, ask first...)

I think we should follow with Jim's proposal, as it's the only concrete one that has been made. But can anyone explain what or where is TBD?
Damià - LEMH

JHWellington

Postby JHWellington » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:31 pm

Sunday sounds great, but 7PM would be better for me as I'm arriving on Sunday and would like some time to settle. Whenever and wherever, I'll be there for the "early in the week" UCAP meetup.

John

jimg

Postby jimg » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:11 am

Hi all,

TBD is shorthand for "To Be Determined."

I'm in favor of pushing back the Sunday evening meetup to 6:30. I'm sure we will sit around for a while, so John and others can join us later, "in progress" as it were. But I don't want to go too late, because where I tent-camp, there seems to be all kinds of loud airplane noise beginning around oh, say, sunrise. A tent next to runway 9 is just not a good environment for "sleeping in." And I'm sure many will want to get an early start as Airventure opens Monday morning.

Check the UCAP Wiki for osh09meetups at
http://www.uncontrolledairspace.com/wiki/doku.php?id=osh09meetups

Check that web page, sign up, do the twitter thing,... more on communications to come.

Jim

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Re: Airventure Oshkosh Meetup(s)

Postby jackhodgson » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:52 pm

One thing about the wiki list: It's not intended to replace the discussion/negotiation going on here. I just thought it would be useful to have a central list of all the like gatherings.

My suggestion to all is: to not overthink this. Let the gatherings be fruitful, and multiply. Whenever two or more UCAP listeners are planning to get together, and would welcome others to join them, put it on the list and see who salutes.

In the old days I was part of a group which had regular, daily gatherings, at the base of the (old) tower each day at noon, and after the daily airshow. People would touch base, plan activities, head off for dinner, etc. Is that something that would be useful? I can't promise to stop by that kind of thing every day, but I could make it more than a couple times.

Also, it's been suggested that we need some sort of non-internet-dependent jungle telegraph for communicating while at Wittman. I'm not sure what that might be, but if anyone has an idea, let's try it.

JHWellington

Re: Airventure Oshkosh Meetup(s)

Postby JHWellington » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:52 pm

jackhodgson wrote:Also, it's been suggested that we need some sort of non-internet-dependent jungle telegraph for communicating while at Wittman. I'm not sure what that might be, but if anyone has an idea, let's try it.

The answer may be cell phones. I've added my number to the meetup Wiki. If everyone does the same we can call or text people with information.

John

jimg

Postby jimg » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:58 pm

Hi,

So I started structuring the wiki page as a place where we could sign up for meetups, as Jack had suggested. I've got the first meetup, the Sunday evening one, in there. That will give everyone an idea of whom to expect for the first day at least.

On the other hand, let's face it, we're not going to be sitting around Airventure, in front of our computers, editing Wiki pages. John Wellington (jhwellington) suggested using "twitter" and the "#UCAP" hash tag. Although I had heard of "twitter," I had not yet tried it, but today I am learning more about it. Although not terribly well documented, it appears to be a free service with some kind of interface to SMS text messaging. It's the SMS part that tweaked my curiosity:

What I would really like to use as a non-internet-dependent jungle telegraph is SMS text messaging because I think so many people have SMS text messaging capability on their cellular telephones (cell phones). What "twitter" and the #UCAP hashtag bring to the table is the ability to use SMS text messaging in a group context. I'm still exploring this option, having signed up for "twitter" today. But in the meantime, and on a much more germane note, we're talking about a small number of people, so I echo what Jack said: how would you be able to find out where to meet at Airventure? Should everything be laid out ahead of time?

At this point (8 days until heading out from Philly), we have:

Sunday evening July 26 at 6:30 pm. Need a location. Not sure what will be open before the show begins.
Need suggestions.

Thursday early evening July 30 at 5:30 pm.
Possible location: Navionpilot's (Jonathan's) offer of EAA Chapter 974's mini-camp within Camp Sholler.

Jim

Return to “Meetups”